Monday, August 25, 2008

The truth about sin

So...I had another God moment this morning as I was sitting in my office reading. In Seeing the Invisible, A.B. Simpson writes, "The first act of faith is to believe what God says about sin." That was a hammer to my head. It got me thinking, if we don't believe EVERYTHING the Bible says about sin then we can't believe anything the Bible says about God. Our faith exists in embracing everything the Bible tells us about us and eveything it tells us about God. Our condition is inseparable from God's redemption. You can't have one without the other.

This was earth shattering for me, not so much because I don't know how much I have sinned, but because I never really thought of faith in terms of embracing my failures and owning them, so that God can redeem me.

One of my favorite verses in Scripture is Micah 6:8:

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

As far as I can tell there is nothing more humbling than embracing your sin (and redemption) dailyso that you can walk with God.

No comments: